Geek XP

Discuss operating systems based on Windows NT (including modern versions).
360alaska

Re: Geek XP

Post by 360alaska » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:05 am

gary271 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 pm
Thank you so much for creating this ! I have an XP-only critical application (badly written and source code long gone) that has been giving me sleepless nights for years and no other solution has worked for me (compatibility modes, Virtual PC/XP mode, Wine...) I was down to one "magic computer" that ran it. With Geek XP and VirtualBox I can run it on my shiny new Win 10 machine like a dream.
I do have a couple of questions:
- Is activation going to be required ? I can't find any mention here and I can't find the normal ways I would look in XP for activation status
- How can I make a contribution for all your work on this ?

~GP
Thanks for your donation!
mrfixit51

Post by mrfixit51 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 pm

I have not had a lot of time to look at your project yet. Is this ISO a bootable CD image? I have a couple of old boxes that i would like to try this out on. Thanks for sharing your work!
NnMm

Post by NnMm » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:55 pm

I too would really appreciate a 64 bit build.
I'd be happy to make a contribution, but I can't afford to pay what this is probably really worth in your time ;-(

Or have you documented your process, that I could build my own?

Thanks for the great project!

Neil
360alaska

Post by 360alaska » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Neil,

It's really not possible because there is no 64-bit verison of TPC or MCE. Make sense? It may be possible to integrate some components into X64 but they would be X86 apps.
360alaska

Post by 360alaska » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:57 pm

IdkWhatToCallMe

Post by IdkWhatToCallMe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi!

Could i get involved? Just for like reasearching purposes (And because i think this a awsome build of windows xp). If the answer is yes maybe i could work on like desing and features (because that is kinda where i have more exprience on). I could send some kind of example of what i mean of "features". Pssss... I have literary no experience at all how to modify windows xp (just kinda) installation so i will if you want i will send some how a virtual machine and i will try to do some homework so i know more.

-idk what to call me
360alaska

Post by 360alaska » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:30 pm

You're more than welcome to modify my build and make your own. I am excited to see what you come up with.

-360alaska
IdkWhatToCallMe

Re: 360 alaska

Post by IdkWhatToCallMe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:25 am

I have learn how you bundle programs and many other things. so Here is kinda what i mean:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13MZulB ... sp=sharing

Since i posted my request i have tried to make an iso but i quickly realise thar would
take some time. I have started some devloping so if you give me some more time maybe i would be
able to accomplish a bit more of a completed prototype of what i mean.

News:
VistaSwitcher, press alt + tab to see it in action.
Redesigned file explorer interface.

What could be possible in future betas:
New OOBE.
Geek Update - for getting security and feature updates.
A compatibility layer so you can run newer programs. (I can try to port over wine to windows)
A 64bit variant.
Fix problem with switching keyboard layout.
Many other aero like features