Windows 8/8.1

Discuss operating systems based on Windows NT (including modern versions).
nknight

Windows 8/8.1

Post by nknight » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Talk about Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 here. such as apps and other stuff.
NewYorkEagle

Re: Windows 8/8.1

Post by NewYorkEagle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 am

By far, Windows 8 is the worst operating system that Microsoft ever made in its entire history. Yes, I even proclaim it as worse as Windows Me, because at least it had the classic Start menu. When I had a laptop that ran Windows 8, it was just really terrible and took a long time for me to set it up. The only thing I didn't realize before I got it was that Win 8 had an actual desktop. It might be me despising the ads, since they never show the actual desktop, as the metro apps were more important to Microsoft. Thankfully, barely anyone uses the OS and it only has about 6% in the market share.

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
ShinyElGhosteo

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 am

Unpopular opinion here but I think it is one of the best versions of windows. I have horrible experiences with 7 so 8.1 was a very well needed change for me. Once you've got a classic style start menu installed it is good to go. Much faster at everything than 7 was and was much nicer on older hardware. I've installed it on many XP and Vista era machines and it gave new life to them. It's also the last version of windows that can be properly installed on a lot of those machines due to video driver issues with 10. I know it still has its flaws but most people were too hard on it only because of the start menu.
This is my signature.
DonkeyPants

Post by DonkeyPants » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 am

Hey Guys!
Windows 8 is obviously the worst OS ever and it is very slow and THE METRO SCREEN??? That's a dumb idea and Windows 7 and XP obviously better than Windows 8. Windows XP and it fresh bliss background Windows 7 and its beautiful Aero Windows 8 and its slowness and how ugly it is and yeah you get it. I am on Windows 7 Pro and its GREAT fast and do not forget the start menu! I hate Windows 8 it is on my grey and green laptop and it is ok BUT SLOW AND UGLY! The metro screen i hate and how it go's like error error error error error error error and so on... it screen records incredibly laggy on camtasia and more..

BYEEEE!
nknight

Post by nknight » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Windows 8 and 8.1 are good for touchscreen and tablets like the Surface Pro where metro is basically usable. If you were going to use this on a desktop I'd install Classic Shell to get a start menu and mjd has a video on Classic Shell.
awesomeguy

Post by awesomeguy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

DonkeyPants wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 am
Windows 8 is obviously the worst OS ever and it is very slow and THE METRO SCREEN??? That's a dumb idea and Windows 7 and XP obviously better than Windows 8. Windows XP and it fresh bliss background Windows 7 and its beautiful Aero Windows 8 and its slowness and how ugly it is and yeah you get it. I am on Windows 7 Pro and its GREAT fast and do not forget the start menu! I hate Windows 8 it is on my grey and green laptop and it is ok BUT SLOW AND UGLY! The metro screen i hate and how it go's like error error error error error error error and so on... it screen records incredibly laggy on camtasia and more..
Windows 8.1 is actually a very fast OS. It is in fact faster than Vista and 7. It has better RAM management, a better task manager, and boots up a lot faster. It works very fast on many computers, old and new. It does not look that bad. I admit that the Metro screen was not the best..., but tablets were starting to become a big thing, and Microsoft focused too much on that. Camtasia can be replaced by the better and faster OBS. I find 8.1 to have less errors than 7.

TL;DR: Windows 8.1 is a fast OS that is quite a bit better than 7.
WinElectronic101

Post by WinElectronic101 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Personally, the only thing that bothered me about Windows 8 was the confusing UI designed for tablets. Once I installed a few softwares I found it to be usable reasonably (shoutout to the developers of Classic Shell) and I don't even use Modern UI Apps. 8.1 improved 8's control with direct ability to go directly to the desktop rather than the ultra-confusing start screen, adding a start button back (despite the menu still being the start screen) and the ability to disable part of the Charms Bar hotcorners. Things I did like about Windows 8 were fast bootup time, ribbon file explorer, improved task manager, and a fully integrated antivirus (admittedly not the best but does a decent job if you don't do anything crazy).