Farewell Vista

Discuss operating systems based on Windows NT (including modern versions).
User avatar
NewYorkEagle
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by NewYorkEagle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Jamiec1130 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm
NewYorkEagle wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm
Jamiec1130 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm
People constantly hate on Windows Vista, but it needs to be credited for what it brought us: Aero, newer icons, etc. I am one person who has NEVER had a hate towards Vista. I use it actively, and I love every minute of it.
While Aero was a cool feature in Vista, Windows 7 made it better in my opinion.
Very true. Windows 7 brought a LOT of improvements to Aero. Something I quite like is using the Windows XP Bliss background with Windows 7 and the look Aero creates is really nice.
That seems pretty cool. Although, I like the Bliss background better on XP, since the bright colors on the taskbar matches perfectly well with it.
Image

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
OS: Windows 10 Pro
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
User avatar
Hello
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 am
Location: USA

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by Hello » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:06 pm

ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:15 am
It's hard to hate on an OS you've always admired from a distance and always wanted to experience. Vista support ends in the coming months and it is kind of sad to see it go. I've never had a machine that ran vista so I never experienced the issues that it had. Besides, with how crazy the development was, could you really blame it for being buggy? I've personally had more issues with 7 than Vista. Vista was always "the new kid" to me. You know of him and you've seen him around but was always too shy to say hi and make friends. I've used PCs with Vista and it was a nicer experience than XP was because of the new start menu and I still think it looks nicer than 8 or 10 but was never really sure enough to use it over XP or 7. In any case, I'm sad that it has reached it's end and hope that I get a PC with it someday. Thank you Vista for laying the foundation for 7, and for Inkball. That game was so underrated.
Windows vista is what shaped Windows 7 into what it is today...
Forums? QUICK! GET OUT ALL YOUR EARLY 2000's SIGNATURE BARS! ;)

Image
Image
Image
awesomeguy
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by awesomeguy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25 pm

User avatar
michael
Site Admin
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by michael » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am

It seems like just yesterday when those "Wow" ads were playing, hyping up Microsoft's latest OS. Vista definitely got off to a rough start, but it set the foundation for 7. I'm thinking of doing a sort of retrospective type video to look back on Windows Vista. I've done a couple videos going over the development process, but I'm thinking of something just a little different for this one. Let me know what you guys think :)
Michael MJD - Site Admin
User avatar
TheCanadianToast
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by TheCanadianToast » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:21 am

michael wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am
It seems like just yesterday when those "Wow" ads were playing, hyping up Microsoft's latest OS. Vista definitely got off to a rough start, but it set the foundation for 7. I'm thinking of doing a sort of retrospective type video to look back on Windows Vista. I've done a couple videos going over the development process, but I'm thinking of something just a little different for this one. Let me know what you guys think :)
OH YEAH. I remember those Windows Vista "Wow" ads as well... Also, about the video idea, I would not mind that at all. Why not? :D
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
michael
Site Admin
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by michael » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 am

TheCanadianToast wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:21 am
michael wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am
It seems like just yesterday when those "Wow" ads were playing, hyping up Microsoft's latest OS. Vista definitely got off to a rough start, but it set the foundation for 7. I'm thinking of doing a sort of retrospective type video to look back on Windows Vista. I've done a couple videos going over the development process, but I'm thinking of something just a little different for this one. Let me know what you guys think :)
OH YEAH. I remember those Windows Vista "Wow" ads as well... Also, about the video idea, I would not mind that at all. Why not? :D
Haha yeah! I'm gonna aim to get it out on the date that Vista support ends. I did the same for XP in 2014, when I uploaded my Time Travel video on the OS.
Michael MJD - Site Admin
User avatar
Windows10User2017
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by Windows10User2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm

I was a Windows Vista user from late 2008 to early 2014...

Windows Vista (and XP) was my childhood, I would boot up my Windows Vista laptop every day I got back home and played some online games on IE 8 (because I didn't know what Google Chrome was at the time) Windows Vista isn't too buggy, most of the bugs are fixed in SP2, It's a shame to leave Windows Vista but it's time to do it. I will use Windows Vista in VMs or on the old Windows Vista laptop...
logoster
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by logoster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 pm

BooHooToYou wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 pm
Jamiec1130 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm
People constantly hate on Windows Vista, but it needs to be credited for what it brought us: Aero, newer icons, etc. I am one person who has NEVER had a hate towards Vista. I use it actively, and I love every minute of it.
Finally, someone with sense, much like my friend YantooNetwork from YouTube. Aero is a feature I still miss in Windows 10 and want a copy of Vista or 7 except they won't boot on my UEFI system. I love Vista so much on my brother's Dell Inspiron 1525 (from 2008) with a Pentium Dual Core and 2GB of RAM.

I haven't tried vista yet (although i plan to) but it is possible to get windows 7 booting on a UEFI system, here's what i did:

First, make a partition to install windows 7 onto (to be safe, format it and label it windows 7 or something along those lines so you know for sure which partition is the one you made for windows 7)
next Boot the windows 7 installer from within windows 8/8.1/10 (depending on what you're currently running) and don't let it update (at least the updates through the installer didn't work for me) then go through and choose custom install, then select your windows 7 partition, and let it run, once it needs to reboot, go into your UEFI and turn on Legacy booting (or something along those lines, on mine it was called CSM) then continue with the windows 7 installation as normal, and you should now have a working dual-boot of windows 7 and whatever your current UEFI OS, only thing to note is that windows 7 will only work when your board is in that legacy mode, it will get stuck at Starting Windows if you try to boot it while in UEFI booting mode (that said, i don't remember for certain, but i believe that my windows 8/8.1 partition still worked fine with legacy mode enabled, so if you don't feel like changing it whenever you switch operating systems, your newer OS should still work without changing back to UEFI, again though i don't remember for certain)

and yes, this does work even if your HDD is partitioned as GPT instead of MBR (again, at least it did for me)
User avatar
NewYorkEagle
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by NewYorkEagle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Windows10User2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:58 pm
I was a Windows Vista user from late 2008 to early 2014...

Windows Vista (and XP) was my childhood, I would boot up my Windows Vista laptop every day I got back home and played some online games on IE 8 (because I didn't know what Google Chrome was at the time) Windows Vista isn't too buggy, most of the bugs are fixed in SP2, It's a shame to leave Windows Vista but it's time to do it. I will use Windows Vista in VMs or on the old Windows Vista laptop...
Windows Vista was also part of my childhood, but it wasn't as great as XP. Using XP was more stable to me,
Image

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
OS: Windows 10 Pro
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
User avatar
nknight
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:15 am
Location: United States

Re: Farewell Vista

Post by nknight » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 am

michael wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 am
TheCanadianToast wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:21 am
michael wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:16 am
It seems like just yesterday when those "Wow" ads were playing, hyping up Microsoft's latest OS. Vista definitely got off to a rough start, but it set the foundation for 7. I'm thinking of doing a sort of retrospective type video to look back on Windows Vista. I've done a couple videos going over the development process, but I'm thinking of something just a little different for this one. Let me know what you guys think :)
OH YEAH. I remember those Windows Vista "Wow" ads as well... Also, about the video idea, I would not mind that at all. Why not? :D
Haha yeah! I'm gonna aim to get it out on the date that Vista support ends. I did the same for XP in 2014, when I uploaded my Time Travel video on the OS.
Do you think your going to make a separate video of like a last look video at Vista like show features of Vista on a VM so we can a last look at the os like first you start up a Vista VM on video, give a full in depth tour of the OS like show software, then Shut down vista of video.
Post Reply