Windows XP

Discuss operating systems based on Windows NT (including modern versions).
NewYorkEagle

Re: Windows XP

Post by NewYorkEagle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:44 am

FarteForWindows wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:39 am
NewYorkEagle wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:27 am
smpark12 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 am
Excuse Me. I mean MAJOR vulnerabilities! :P
Even with that, they could still be fixed with antivirus software.
Not really fixed as much as guarded. They're still there, it's just that the antivirus is protecting you from SOME, but not all exploits.
I guess you could say it like that, since XP isn't supported by Microsoft anymore.

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
BooHooToYou

Post by BooHooToYou » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 pm

Not only Windows XP, but also Windows Server 2003 that gets so little love despite being the Better XP.

Still decently secure and good for an everyday OS, in fact I would go so far as to say that even Win2K3 could be used as a main DESKTOP operating system as it has all of the
same features as XP, just more stable.
Hello

Post by Hello » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 am

SnakeEyes9922 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:32 am
Windows XP does have some security holes but as long as you use an Anti-Virus, such as AVG and Norton, you should be fine. Try to use the most up to date browser and software supported for Windows XP and it should not be that unsecure. Then also you have the workaround for the updates, then it should be more secure than without the updates.
inb4 someone links Windows xp black
Forums? QUICK! GET OUT ALL YOUR EARLY 2000's SIGNATURE BARS! ;)

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 pm

General rule of thumb , I use is not to download something shady , etc. Honestly you probably could easy use Windows XP or even say Windows 2000 with some of the unofficial service packs as a daily driver ( Not 100% Sure if Windows NT 4.0 could be used, Interesting thought though). Windows hasn't really changed a lot about its core since leap from basically a DOS Shell on Steroids to Windows NT based , and other than that really the only thing that has changed is the newer more laggy unresponsive interfaces with each new version. But all these are opinions , and it all boils down to user preference and what you find best suits you , even if it hasn't been supported in many years
NewYorkEagle

Post by NewYorkEagle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Hello wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 am
SnakeEyes9922 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:32 am
Windows XP does have some security holes but as long as you use an Anti-Virus, such as AVG and Norton, you should be fine. Try to use the most up to date browser and software supported for Windows XP and it should not be that unsecure. Then also you have the workaround for the updates, then it should be more secure than without the updates.
Or Windows XP Gold. Although, Black works better since it's not suspicious with anyone's antivirus software.

My Computer Specs:

Hello

Post by Hello » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 am

[/quote]

Or Windows XP Gold. Although, Black works better since it's not suspicious with anyone's antivirus software.
[/quote]

Ive installed XP Black on a secondary computer and it worked pretty well... its like a modpack for Windows XP :)

But I wouldn't touch XP Gold with a ten foot pole...
Forums? QUICK! GET OUT ALL YOUR EARLY 2000's SIGNATURE BARS! ;)

NewYorkEagle

Post by NewYorkEagle » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:40 am

Hello wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 am
Ive installed XP Black on a secondary computer and it worked pretty well... its like a modpack for Windows XP :)

But I wouldn't touch XP Gold with a ten foot pole...
Yeah. What's best about is that it has Service Pack 3, which I don't have to worry about since it's the latest service pack on XP. Plus it has extra applications that could be helpful when using XP Black.

My Computer Specs:

MajorSky17

Post by MajorSky17 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Safety of OSes is overrated. Common sense is most often what one needs to protect themselves. That said, for "average" users, 8/10 are better since they have UAC and built-in anti-spyware/virus. But for power users, really they have the pick of the draw regarding what version of Windows to go for!
Creator of the Windows On Windows® video series: an investigation into the development of the world's most widely-used OS.

The Windows On Windows® forum is dedicated to the Windows family of OSes.