Microsoft Neptune

Discuss operating systems based on Windows NT (including modern versions).
Meow2004

Microsoft Neptune

Post by Meow2004 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm

This is for to talk about Windows Neptune. What did you guys think of it? I thought the logo for Neptune looked pretty cool. I even made a startup logo animation using google slides
Thanks, from Meow2004

NewYorkEagle

Re: Microsoft Neptune

Post by NewYorkEagle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am

Neptune was okay, but it wasn't the best until it merged with Whistler in early 2000. The only thing I like about it was that it was a beta for XP.

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
TheCanadianToast

Post by TheCanadianToast » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 am

Like I said before, Windows Neptune was going to be the Home Edition version of Windows 2000 based off of the Windows NT code, which was highly stable, unlike what happened with Windows ME, when it was based off of Windows 9x with restricted access to real mode DOS, and was not that stable. I guess during that time Microsoft thought that home users still needed a bit of DOS, and then scrapped the release of Neptune, and started working with Windows ME.

I bet if Microsoft didn't throw away real mode DOS in Windows ME, Windows ME would not have that many stability problems, right? But ya know, you cannot change the past though... :P
NewYorkEagle

Post by NewYorkEagle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 pm

TheCanadianToast wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 am
Like I said before, Windows Neptune was going to be the Home Edition version of Windows 2000 based off of the Windows NT code, which was highly stable, unlike what happened with Windows ME, when it was based off of Windows 9x with restricted access to real mode DOS, and was not that stable. I guess during that time Microsoft thought that home users still needed a bit of DOS, and then scrapped the release of Neptune, and started working with Windows ME.
I would've disagreed with Microsoft right off the bat, since the NT code is more simple and easier to install than with DOS. Especially when it just goes through the setup screen in less than 20 minutes right after the computer is done with copying files.
I bet if Microsoft didn't throw away real mode DOS in Windows ME, Windows ME would not have that many stability problems, right? But ya know, you cannot change the past though... :P
Yeah. Windows ME should've been an NT system, since Microsoft was already going for NT technology after Win2000 was released.

My Computer Specs:

Model: Acer Veriton X2631
CPU: Intel Core i5 (4440)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
HDD: 2.6 TB (Partitions total)
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio
ZachIsCheese

Post by ZachIsCheese » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:26 pm

I have tinkered with it. But I never really liked it. The first Windows OS I really liked from that time period was NT 4.0, even though my first OS was XP Pro. It's an interesting idea and calling it Microsoft Neptune rather than Windows Neptune may have helped distinguish it from the DOS codebase in the public eye and may have even really helped it if XP was called Neptune.