Tired Of Paying For Cable Or Satellite TV? - My Project To Try Out OTA On My HDTV (Over The Air)

Discuss anything that does not fit into the other forum categories.
TheCanadianToast

Tired Of Paying For Cable Or Satellite TV? - My Project To Try Out OTA On My HDTV (Over The Air)

Post by TheCanadianToast » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:33 am

I have never tried out over the air TV before in my entire life. I have been watching on Cable TV my entire life, and my parents have been paying for the Cable bill, which of course costs money. My mom is still paying for a Basic Cable package today, while my dad had cut the cord entirely in his house. Well, I am going to test things out for myself... (Are you tired of paying for Cable or Satellite on a per monthly basis? Well, going over the air may be a complimentary option for the cord-cutters out there.) Though a note, you will NOT get cable only channels on over the air.

I have a 24" Dynex HDTV in my room with a built-in digital tuner that can take ATSC, true HD over the air TV Channels. (Otherwise, if you have an older TV, a converter box is required.) (For TV's with a built-in digital ATSC tuner, just plug in the Antenna to the TV, scan for digital channels in your TV's setup menu, and start watching the TV channels that it detects.) I am getting tired of my standard definition cable TV digital adapter box, you can still notice ghosting and static on the TV because the digital adapter is outputing to analog Channel 3 (It's only input), and the channels of course are in SD, with the HD channels being letterboxed. (SD content being broadcast on an HD Feed being letterboxed, on an SD TV Box will result in both letterboxed and pillarboxed, so you're left with a small square. I HATE THAT.)

Over here in Canada, Canada's over the air system has been all digital from the analog shutdown since August 31, 2011 (6 years ago) by the order of the CRTC. (Canada's equivalent to the FCC.) The United States did this earlier, first on February 17, 2009, and then again on June 12, 2009, by the order of the FCC. So I do NOT expect to see any analog TV channels in my area most likely, only digital... You can watch the Canadian antenna Digital TV ads here, to see what it was like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoM4rxNT2RI

So... I did my research on both TVfool, http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=29, and ReceptionMaps, http://www.receptionmaps.com/Advanced-TV-Maps.html to find out a simulation estimation on the over the air TV Channels that I can receive in my area by typing in my full address, and this is what I got:

(ReceptionMaps shows an actual Google Map, you can click the radio buttons to show the TV Channel's transmitter power in your area on the above Google Map. Red, Yellow, Green colors mean strong signals. Cyan, Blue & Purple mean weak signals, and an outdoor antenna carrying more miles may be required if you see Cyan, Blue & Purple.)

The color legend for the picture above: (I can most likely receive the TV Channels that are in green. (The yellow, red, and gray are TV Channels that are located in Buffalo, New York, and you (once again) may need an outdoor antenna capable of running more miles to receive these channels.) If I lived in Niagara Falls, which is near the US Boarder of Buffalo, New York, then this would not be a problem...

So I bought an RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna capable of running 40 miles on Amazon which costed me $39.55, and I am still waiting for the package to arrive in the mail. It can do both VHF-UHF combination, so I do not need to worry about that... RCA's higher end antennas, which is capable of running 50 to 60 miles instead cost way more around $80-$90 on Amazon. There is no way that I am spending that much money on a TV antenna. (I can update more on this later, by adding a reply to this thread.)

MemeOS

Re: Tired Of Paying For Cable Or Satellite TV? - My Project To Try Out OTA On My HDTV (Over The Air)

Post by MemeOS » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm

TheCanadianToast wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:33 am
I have never tried out over the air TV before in my entire life. I have been watching on Cable TV my entire life, and my parents have been paying for the Cable bill, which of course costs money. My mom is still paying for a Basic Cable package today, while my dad had cut the cord entirely in his house. Well, I am going to test things out for myself... (Are you tired of paying for Cable or Satellite on a per monthly basis? Well, going over the air may be a complimentary option for the cord-cutters out there.) Though a note, you will NOT get cable only channels on over the air.

I have a 24" Dynex HDTV in my room with a built-in digital tuner that can take ATSC, true HD over the air TV Channels. (Otherwise, if you have an older TV, a converter box is required.) (For TV's with a built-in digital ATSC tuner, just plug in the Antenna to the TV, scan for digital channels in your TV's setup menu, and start watching the TV channels that it detects.) I am getting tired of my standard definition cable TV digital adapter box, you can still notice ghosting and static on the TV because the digital adapter is outputing to analog Channel 3 (It's only input), and the channels of course are in SD, with the HD channels being letterboxed. (SD content being broadcast on an HD Feed being letterboxed, on an SD TV Box will result in both letterboxed and pillarboxed, so you're left with a small square. I HATE THAT.)

Over here in Canada, Canada's over the air system has been all digital from the analog shutdown since August 31, 2011 (6 years ago) by the order of the CRTC. (Canada's equivalent to the FCC.) The United States did this earlier, first on February 17, 2009, and then again on June 12, 2009, by the order of the FCC. So I do NOT expect to see any analog TV channels in my area most likely, only digital... You can watch the Canadian antenna Digital TV ads here, to see what it was like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoM4rxNT2RI

So... I did my research on both TVfool, http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=29, and ReceptionMaps, http://www.receptionmaps.com/Advanced-TV-Maps.html to find out a simulation estimation on the over the air TV Channels that I can receive in my area by typing in my full address, and this is what I got:

(ReceptionMaps shows an actual Google Map, you can click the radio buttons to show the TV Channel's transmitter power in your area on the above Google Map. Red, Yellow, Green colors mean strong signals. Cyan, Blue & Purple mean weak signals, and an outdoor antenna carrying more miles may be required if you see Cyan, Blue & Purple.)

The color legend for the picture above: (I can most likely receive the TV Channels that are in green. (The yellow, red, and gray are TV Channels that are located in Buffalo, New York, and you (once again) may need an outdoor antenna capable of running more miles to receive these channels.) If I lived in Niagara Falls, which is near the US Boarder of Buffalo, New York, then this would not be a problem...

So I bought an RCA Indoor Amplified TV Antenna capable of running 40 miles on Amazon which costed me $39.55, and I am still waiting for the package to arrive in the mail. It can do both VHF-UHF combination, so I do not need to worry about that... RCA's higher end antennas, which is capable of running 50 to 60 miles instead cost way more around $80-$90 on Amazon. There is no way that I am spending that much money on a TV antenna. (I can update more on this later, by adding a reply to this thread.)

My dad has satellite TV. while my mom cut the cord entirely. trying to convince her to get youtube TV
TheCanadianToast

Re: Tired Of Paying For Cable Or Satellite TV? - My Project To Try Out OTA On My HDTV (Over The Air)

Post by TheCanadianToast » Mon May 01, 2017 4:55 am

MemeOS wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm
My dad has satellite TV. while my mom cut the cord entirely. trying to convince her to get youtube TV
Cool. I have heard of YouTube TV but unfortunately the service is not available in Canada, and that it also looks like YouTube TV is only available in certain states in the United States as well, so it is not everywhere in the United States...
TheCanadianToast

Post by TheCanadianToast » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 pm

So I received the antenna to my door on May 2, however I did not hook it up to my TV until May 7 because the coaxial cable that was hooked up to the cable digital adapter to my TV was stuck, unable to unscrew it by hand, so I had to find a 7/16 size wrench, which I had to research what size wrench to use, which I found in my mom's house's garage, and that wrench worked, the digital adapter coaxial cable was freed off...

With this antenna, I was able to get 8 digital channels. However, if you place this antenna higher, I could get 11 digital channels, however the extra digital channels are weak signals. Possible reasons why:

[*] Obstacles affecting both inside my room and outside as well...
[*] The antenna is not placed more higher
[*] The antenna is not placed near a window, which is a few feet away from my room. In my mom's house, on the left side is the window, on the right side is where my TV is in my bedroom.
[*] Too far away from the broadcast tower
[*] An antenna capable of running more miles may be required. The RCA 50 and 60 mile indoor amplified antennas are expensive to purchase though...

Also no, digital channel multicasting does not exist in Canada, except for the Global Toronto TV Channel as they use channel number 41.1 for the HD Feed and 41.2 for the SD Feed, as digital channel multicasting does exist in the United States. So other then that, no extra channels unfortunately.