My Great Thiftshop Find

Discuss anything that does not fit into the other forum categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Numbers
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Tennessee

My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by Numbers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 am

So, Recently I was out of my state (Tennessee) , in Arkansas. I didn't have anything better to do I decided to go and hit up some Thifts shops. And I found a Working Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS for $14.99, and I'm like 99% Sure the Previous owner had replaced the Battery so it lasts for good 3 Hours. Probably one the best finds I've made yet. If anyone has any ideas on what Games I should install , etc. Let me know, its got a Amazing 1.25 GB Hard Drive ( I plan on replacing with Compact Flash Sooner or Later).

Image
User avatar
michael
Site Admin
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by michael » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Awesome find! Looks to be in great shape also, especially with the new battery that you mentioned. I assume that it's running Windows 98. Do you know if it's the original or the second edition?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael MJD - Site Admin
User avatar
nknight
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:15 am
Location: United States

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by nknight » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Numbers wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 am
So, Recently I was out of my state (Tennessee) , in Arkansas. I didn't have anything better to do I decided to go and hit up some Thifts shops. And I found a Working Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS for $14.99, and I'm like 99% Sure the Previous owner had replaced the Battery so it lasts for good 3 Hours. Probably one the best finds I've made yet. If anyone has any ideas on what Games I should install , etc. Let me know, its got a Amazing 1.25 GB Hard Drive ( I plan on replacing with Compact Flash Sooner or Later).

Image
The Laptop can take up to either 40 MB or 48 MB of RAM so I'd use Windows 3.1\Dos 6.22. :D
User avatar
Numbers
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by Numbers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 pm

michael wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:06 pm
Awesome find! Looks to be in great shape also, especially with the new battery that you mentioned. I assume that it's running Windows 98. Do you know if it's the original or the second edition?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's running Windows 95 with Internet Exploder [ Mean Explorer :) ] It's Windows 95 ( 4.00.950 B , Not sure if that's version with somewhat USB Support) But I plan on upgrading it to Windows 98 SE , when I can get more ram for it. The EDO Memory Cards are pretty pricely. Only Big thing I dislike is the Dual Scan LCD , its like horrible, I wish I could replace it with the TFT Panel off like 435CDT , But I doubt that would work.
User avatar
Numbers
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by Numbers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:11 pm

nknight wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm
Numbers wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 am
So, Recently I was out of my state (Tennessee) , in Arkansas. I didn't have anything better to do I decided to go and hit up some Thifts shops. And I found a Working Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS for $14.99, and I'm like 99% Sure the Previous owner had replaced the Battery so it lasts for good 3 Hours. Probably one the best finds I've made yet. If anyone has any ideas on what Games I should install , etc. Let me know, its got a Amazing 1.25 GB Hard Drive ( I plan on replacing with Compact Flash Sooner or Later).

The Laptop can take up to either 40 MB or 48 MB of RAM so I'd use Windows 3.1\Dos 6.22. :D
Yea, I thought about making it a DOS Gaming Machine , but issue with that is only has a CD-ROM and I would prefer to have mainly a Floppy Drive for DOS. Then Again I could do the Compact Flash Upgrade and it wouldn't be that big of a Deal. One of the Main things I planned on doing with this Laptop was Typing out Word Documents on it and stuff, since Its got a Nice Keyboard and Battery life, but then again the Screen does suck , like I said in my reply to Michael. That Ghosting of the Dual Scan is rough for anything really, but I can deal with it.
User avatar
MemeOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am
Location: the mysterious green and cold land named iowa
Contact:

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by MemeOS » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm

My local thriftstore sells more modern stuff. i found a HP PC with an i5-7400 for $150 :D
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
TheCanadianToast
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by TheCanadianToast » Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 am

MemeOS wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm
My local thriftstore sells more modern stuff. i found a HP PC with an i5-7400 for $150 :D
Wow. $150 is actually a bargain to be honest with you... You're lucky. Usually brand new Core i5 computers sell around $600 and up at local computer stores like Best Buy for example... :o
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
MemeOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am
Location: the mysterious green and cold land named iowa
Contact:

Re: My Great Thiftshop Find

Post by MemeOS » Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 am

TheCanadianToast wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 am
MemeOS wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm
My local thriftstore sells more modern stuff. i found a HP PC with an i5-7400 for $150 :D
Wow. $150 is actually a bargain to be honest with you... You're lucky. Usually brand new Core i5 computers sell around $600 and up at local computer stores like Best Buy for example... :o
now that i think about it, i think it was Haswell or Skylake, but still good and comes with Linux Mint. No Discreet GPU because its HP
Image
Image
Image
Image
Post Reply