Hunting down a CRT monitor

Discuss computer peripherals including mice and keyboards.
ShinyElGhosteo

Hunting down a CRT monitor

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 am

I have looked high and low to find an old dell CRT display with no luck. For a while you couldn't get rid of them but now that I want one it seems like they are all gone. The only place I can find them is online at a very high price. Anyone know where to find old screens like this for cheap?

UPDATE (2/18/17) - I bought a really beat up one that has several scratches and is missing the stand so I have one now but the hunt still continues to find a non trashy one.
IMG_2144.JPG
Last edited by ShinyElGhosteo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is my signature.
delawareian

Re: Hunting down a CRT monitor

Post by delawareian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm

ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 am
I have looked high and low to find an old dell CRT display with no luck. For a while you couldn't get rid of them but now that I want one it seems like they are all gone. The only place I can find them is online at a very high price. Anyone know where to find old screens like this for cheap?
Check around thrift stores in your area. Around me, Goodwill and Savers seem to stock up on monitors, so maybe you can find a CRT there. I know they usually have old CRT TVs, so a CRT monitor shouldn't be too hard to find. Usually the LCDs at stores like that are $10-25, so probably around the same for a CRT.
Lenovo ThinkCentre M79, AMD A4-6300B APU, 8 GB DDR3-1600 Memory, 120 GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 500 GB WD Blue, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 3542, Intel Core i3-4030U CPU, 8 GB DDR3L-1600 Memory, 240 GB Intel 335 SSD, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
TheCanadianToast

Post by TheCanadianToast » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Yeah, thrift stores or looking around on ebay is your best bet. Goodwill and Value Village are two thrift stores that I have heard about that sells vintage electronics including computers, keyboards, VCR's, and maybe old TV's as well, etc...

For online shopping though, like I have said, try looking around on ebay...
ShinyElGhosteo

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 am

delawareian wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm
ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 am
Check around thrift stores in your area. Around me, Goodwill and Savers seem to stock up on monitors, so maybe you can find a CRT there. I know they usually have old CRT TVs, so a CRT monitor shouldn't be too hard to find. Usually the LCDs at stores like that are $10-25, so probably around the same for a CRT.
I've checked every thrift store around me for months. I think goodwill tends to throw away the monitors but keeps the TVs. I did find one dell CRT at an angel view discount store that was beat to heck but worked. I passed on it though because there were a lot of deep scratches on the display. If it's still there next time I check I'll get it because I don't think I'll find another. Besides, it was only $5.
This is my signature.
NinKenDo

Post by NinKenDo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Tell me about it. Regret throwing mine out. They're so nostalgic.
ImageImage
ImageImage