Core 2 Duo in 2017

Discuss CPUs
User avatar
ShinyElGhosteo
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 am

Okay so hear me out on this one. My main laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 from 2006 and it has 4GB DDR2 ram, a 320GB HDD, Standard Intel graphics, and finally a Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20Ghz running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I get a lot of comments at school about it being a dinosaur because it's fat, ugly, and old. However, this laptop outperforms almost all the other laptops they own despite theirs being several years newer and having i3 or i5 processors. To stop the hate against it's looks I completely took this thing apart and painted it white and replaced the dell logo with a pacman logo to make it look a little less old. My laptop boots and logs on in seconds (partly because the finger print scanner) when theirs takes almost a minute running Windows 10. It is very fast and runs almost everything I throw at it besides Premiere Pro (technically it will run it but not very well. Still fine for audio cuts). It makes me wonder if there is really any need to upgrade laptops if you don't edit videos or care about serious gaming on there. I use it for Photoshop and drawing software and it runs great.
This is my signature.
User avatar
michael
Site Admin
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by michael » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 am

Man that sounds like a cool laptop! I've actually used a MacBook Pro Mid-2009 with a Core 2 Duo before I got my most recent laptop. It ran alright, but I could definitely notice it becoming sluggish. Yours on the other hand sounds like it performs great, especially considering it's age. I would say that if everything works the way you want it to right now, there really is no need to upgrade to new hardware.
Michael MJD - Site Admin
delawareian
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 pm
Location: Northern Delaware
Contact:

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by delawareian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 am

I hear you. I still have my December 2009 Dell Studio 1555, with a Core 2 Duo T6600, 4 GB RAM, and a 500 GB Western Digital Blue hard drive (it dual boots Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.10). I decided to upgrade in September 2014 to a Core i3 Inspiron because the Core 2 Duo Studio was starting to fall apart (the hinge covers have cracked and are held in place by electrical tape, and the WiFi card died), but I occasionally pull out the Studio if I want to try out another OS or something.

In fact, in April 2014, a few months before I upgraded to the Inspiron, I switched out the original WD Blue hard drive for an SSD. The improvement in speed was substantial and, frankly, my current laptop doesn't seem that much faster (though I moved the SSD into my new laptop). One thing I found also was helpful was when I took the Studio apart completely and cleaned out all the vents. That was one hell of a project, I found a ton of dust that was caked in there (and found a staple that was in the way of the subwoofer), but after it was cleaned, it ran like new! Despite my limited use of it, I replaced the keyboard for $7 and replaced the WiFi card (with one from an older laptop that wasn't doing too well).

Needless to say, I think the Core 2 Duo is a great CPU that still holds up wonderfully today. I consider my Studio to be the most reliable laptop I have ever owned, I just wish the hinges were in better shape.
Lenovo ThinkCentre M79, AMD A4-6300B APU, 8 GB DDR3-1600 Memory, 120 GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 500 GB WD Blue, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 3542, Intel Core i3-4030U CPU, 8 GB DDR3L-1600 Memory, 240 GB Intel 335 SSD, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
BooHooToYou
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by BooHooToYou » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 am
Okay so hear me out on this one. My main laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 from 2006 and it has 4GB DDR2 ram, a 320GB HDD, Standard Intel graphics, and finally a Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20Ghz running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I get a lot of comments at school about it being a dinosaur because it's fat, ugly, and old. However, this laptop outperforms almost all the other laptops they own despite theirs being several years newer and having i3 or i5 processors. To stop the hate against it's looks I completely took this thing apart and painted it white and replaced the dell logo with a pacman logo to make it look a little less old. My laptop boots and logs on in seconds (partly because the finger print scanner) when theirs takes almost a minute running Windows 10. It is very fast and runs almost everything I throw at it besides Premiere Pro (technically it will run it but not very well. Still fine for audio cuts). It makes me wonder if there is really any need to upgrade laptops if you don't edit videos or care about serious gaming on there. I use it for Photoshop and drawing software and it runs great.
I have a very similar laptop! It is a Latitude D620 with 2GB RAM, 160GB (broken) hard drive, a broken battery, and a 2.0GHZ C2D with Nvidia Quatro graphics (64MB). It used to run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but now it's hard drive is broken and while I attempted to install both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, it gave me an error at the formatting step. I will try to get a new drive.

I think the Core 2 Duos are fine CPUs, and are quite fast, and my friend's only laptop in a Thinkpad T400 from Lenovo with a 2.4GHZ C2D with GMA X3100 graphics, 4GB RAM, and a 160GB hard drive, plus Win7 Pro.

I think that for gaming a Core 2 Duo based setup could work, provided you have a good enough graphics card and enough memory. I believe (not totally sure) Premiere Pro is not slow because of your CPU configuration, but your Intel Integrated graphics chipset that is holding you down from video editing and modern gaming, not the C2D chip.

Another example of a Core 2 Duo in 2017 is VWestlife from YouTube. He has a Thinkpad X60 from IBM/Lenovo with a C2D.

Additionally, to properly compare the performance of your laptop to someone else's, you would need the exact same conditions save for the CPU. This means same RAM, same RAM clock speed, same hard drive speed, same software load (OS, installed programs). For example, your PC may only be faster because you are better at not installing viruses and are running Windows 10 and they are running a slower operating system such as Windows Vista.
User avatar
ShinyElGhosteo
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:17 am

BooHooToYou wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm
ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:54 am
Okay so hear me out on this one. My main laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 from 2006 and it has 4GB DDR2 ram, a 320GB HDD, Standard Intel graphics, and finally a Core 2 Duo T7500 @2.20Ghz running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I get a lot of comments at school about it being a dinosaur because it's fat, ugly, and old. However, this laptop outperforms almost all the other laptops they own despite theirs being several years newer and having i3 or i5 processors. To stop the hate against it's looks I completely took this thing apart and painted it white and replaced the dell logo with a pacman logo to make it look a little less old. My laptop boots and logs on in seconds (partly because the finger print scanner) when theirs takes almost a minute running Windows 10. It is very fast and runs almost everything I throw at it besides Premiere Pro (technically it will run it but not very well. Still fine for audio cuts). It makes me wonder if there is really any need to upgrade laptops if you don't edit videos or care about serious gaming on there. I use it for Photoshop and drawing software and it runs great.
I have a very similar laptop! It is a Latitude D620 with 2GB RAM, 160GB (broken) hard drive, a broken battery, and a 2.0GHZ C2D with Nvidia Quatro graphics (64MB). It used to run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but now it's hard drive is broken and while I attempted to install both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, it gave me an error at the formatting step. I will try to get a new drive.

I think the Core 2 Duos are fine CPUs, and are quite fast, and my friend's only laptop in a Thinkpad T400 from Lenovo with a 2.4GHZ C2D with GMA X3100 graphics, 4GB RAM, and a 160GB hard drive, plus Win7 Pro.

I think that for gaming a Core 2 Duo based setup could work, provided you have a good enough graphics card and enough memory. I believe (not totally sure) Premiere Pro is not slow because of your CPU configuration, but your Intel Integrated graphics chipset that is holding you down from video editing and modern gaming, not the C2D chip.

Another example of a Core 2 Duo in 2017 is VWestlife from YouTube. He has a Thinkpad X60 from IBM/Lenovo with a C2D.

Additionally, to properly compare the performance of your laptop to someone else's, you would need the exact same conditions save for the CPU. This means same RAM, same RAM clock speed, same hard drive speed, same software load (OS, installed programs). For example, your PC may only be faster because you are better at not installing viruses and are running Windows 10 and they are running a slower operating system such as Windows Vista.
Yes, that is true, except the specific laptop I am comparing mine to is a Toshiba with an i3 dual core (not sure what model, mine was stolen), 6GB of DDR3, and newer intel graphics. We have about the same amount of junk on our laptops but mine always tends to boot and be usable faster. Obviously on anything processor intensive my laptop is not winning that race but for normal day to day use it is a king. I've dropped it out of my backpack while i was wearing it (I'm 5' 9) and it didn't even damage the laptop but it cracked the concrete. haha. Old laptops sure were built to last.
This is my signature.
User avatar
ShinyElGhosteo
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by ShinyElGhosteo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 am

michael wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 am
Man that sounds like a cool laptop! I've actually used a MacBook Pro Mid-2009 with a Core 2 Duo before I got my most recent laptop. It ran alright, but I could definitely notice it becoming sluggish. Yours on the other hand sounds like it performs great, especially considering it's age. I would say that if everything works the way you want it to right now, there really is no need to upgrade to new hardware.
Thanks man. It did become slow when the hard drive was failing because I tend to drop it at school a lot but once I replaced the drive it's back at full speed. Though the paint is a bit damaged now. Wonder if it's worth upgrading to an SSD.
This is my signature.
delawareian
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:24 pm
Location: Northern Delaware
Contact:

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by delawareian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:00 am

BooHooToYou wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm
Another example of a Core 2 Duo in 2017 is VWestlife from YouTube. He has a Thinkpad X60 from IBM/Lenovo with a C2D.
I think his main desktop is also a Core 2 Duo. He used an i5 for a while, but he didn't like that system (I can't recall why), so he reverted to the Core 2 Duo Compaq, which is now in a new case.
ShinyElGhosteo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 am
Thanks man. It did become slow when the hard drive was failing because I tend to drop it at school a lot but once I replaced the drive it's back at full speed. Though the paint is a bit damaged now. Wonder if it's worth upgrading to an SSD.
I think it's a very valuable investment, it will likely feel much, much faster with the upgrade to an SSD. Also, if you ever decide to replace the laptop, the SSD will work in your new machine. I noticed my Core 2 Duo laptop performed a lot better with the upgrade.
Lenovo ThinkCentre M79, AMD A4-6300B APU, 8 GB DDR3-1600 Memory, 120 GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 500 GB WD Blue, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 3542, Intel Core i3-4030U CPU, 8 GB DDR3L-1600 Memory, 240 GB Intel 335 SSD, Fedora 25 Cinnamon
User avatar
UIdesign
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:41 am
Location: C:\Life\

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by UIdesign » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:09 pm

As i gonna say. I have a Core 2 (Maybe Duo) in My laptop. Dell Inspiron 1720 from 2008 when i got it had Installed Windows 7 on it. It was laggy, then i switch to 8.1, it was better, but somehow i got malware, and i switch to windows 10, which i use it now. It doesn't have battery, but it works fine with 50% of Perfomance.
User avatar
xyz
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by xyz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:32 pm

i had a old core 2 duo desktop and i loved it
it ran all my games smoothly
lemme just push this into the center uuuuuguuuuuuuuuImage
User avatar
Numbers
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Core 2 Duo in 2017

Post by Numbers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:36 am

I started on a Core 2 Duo, it was a E6600 in a Dell Optiplex 745 Tower ( I have nice memories of that computer , It ended up having DPC Latency Issues so gave it away). And I feel a Core 2 Duo would still get the job done. Afterwards I had this Dell Latitude E6400 which had I think C2D T9600 2.8 Ghz it was one of Last Mobile C2D and it was fast. I really miss that Laptop. I feel a C2D and even Core 2 Quads still have a place in market for being daily drivers. Some the eariler C2Ds though may need to be paired with a Linux to be decent, but that's my opinion. Anyways C2D has a very high place in my heart and will always. ( Anyone remember Core 2 Solos Lolz)
Post Reply