ReactOS

Discuss Linux distros, and any other operating system that does not fit into the other categories.
Numbers

ReactOS

Post by Numbers » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 am

So, I assume this could be considered NT based, but it more of a Other OS. Anywho this OS really interested me , because I was going to use it on a dell dimension that was given to me for fun. So, I booted up ReactOS and was met which a Off-brand BSOD ( Really guess they needed to copy Windows as much as possible). So after going to BIOs and disabling pretty much everything it finally booted, and to my disappointment it didn't even detect the floppy drive ( Which was one of only things enabled X/ and I use Floppies for lolz). So, it seems to me ReactOS has come a long way since I last messed last time , other than fact it took a step back with USB Booting being impossible now ( Like Seriously). On the other hand at least people are attempting to make a Open Source NT Based OS and for what it is; it's neat idea, but for most part its more a VM OS till hardware support is improved. And I can't judge that much since its in Alpha and has been since it was launched... ( 18 Years ago...)
NaveekDarkroom

Re: ReactOS

Post by NaveekDarkroom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 am

ReactOS is definitely an ambitious project. But it's one that's far from usable as a main OS.
Numbers

Post by Numbers » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 am

NaveekDarkroom wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 am
ReactOS is definitely an ambitious project. But it's one that's far from usable as a main OS.
I can see that clearly now, I think I'll probably use Windows 2000, and mess with some the Unofficial Service Packs on that machine. Windows 2000 is much more usable from what I've read on the forums about it.
NaveekDarkroom

Post by NaveekDarkroom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 am

Numbers wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 am
NaveekDarkroom wrote:
I can see that clearly now, I think I'll probably use Windows 2000, and mess with some the Unofficial Service Packs on that machine. Windows 2000 is much more usable from what I've read on the forums about it.
Sure. ReactOS is still alpha software.
MTomic2003

Post by MTomic2003 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:51 pm

This is really neat idea, but there is one "problem"...

ReactOS is built on a NT kernel and runs (or it is intended to run) Win32 programs. Windows is running Win32 programs and UWP (Universal Windows Platform) applications. Microsoft really wants us to use UWP apps and force big companies to start making apps on that platform. That means that Win32 platform (that most programs are built on) is gonna start dying.

Now, the problem is that ReactOS is made to run only Win32 programs, but if there is no programs to run (because UWP is massively used in Windows), it is kinda useless. On the other hand, it is good option because developers will start making Win32 programs to support ReactOS, or it can be used because of compatibility reasons... I'm not sure... What do you think?
MemeOS

Post by MemeOS » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:24 am

Numbers wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 am
NaveekDarkroom wrote:
I would put XP on it. provided it can run it good