I have an idea for a new Windows 7-like operating system

Discuss Linux distros, and any other operating system that does not fit into the other categories.
Se7enator

I have an idea for a new Windows 7-like operating system

Post by Se7enator » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:45 am

I have this idea of creating a Windows-like and operating system.

I want it to be compatible with Windows 10 applications as well as older applications, as well as to bring back the old traditional Microsoft Windows experience. The design and UI is inspired by Windows Longhorn and WIndows 7, with an Aero-like theme but with a more modern adaptation. It will fix most of the security problems present in Windows as well as not spy on its users. The main purpose for this OS is for both simplicity and elegance, to be user-friendly, and ready to be used out-of-the-box.

It would be based on ReactOS, as it is an open-source re-implementation of Windows NT which aims for native compatibility with Windows applications. I know that as of now that it is still in alpha and mostly imitates Windows Server 2003 (NT 5.2), and it's still buggy and unstable and doesn't completely support all Windows applications. So, I want to wait until ReactOS is at least in beta, and then to fork the project and to improve the codebase to match NT 6.x specifications and compatibility (Windows Vista thru 8.1). It will also import technology that has been open-sourced from Microsoft such as the .NET Framework, and anything that is missing will be developed from scratch. I want the OS to be complete and be its own thing.

I have been experimenting with ReactOS and trying to learn how to code in C so I can start working on this. But I also invite people to help.

The name of the final OS is subject to change, but I have the name Ether OS in mind, because Ether is like the air, which describes how the interface is simple and easy to use. And also the logo is inspired by the older Windows XP-7 "flag" logo, with three waves layed vertically with a horizontal gradient that goes from purple to cyan.
Se7enator

Re: I have an idea for a new Windows 7-like operating system

Post by Se7enator » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:49 am

I also want for the OS to be POSIX compliant as well as contain some code/compatibility with OS/2 and VMS.
WindowsXPUser98

Post by WindowsXPUser98 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:55 pm

i would love to see this!
PF94

Post by PF94 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Se7enator wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:45 am
I want to wait until ReactOS is at least in beta
I can understand, They're in some sort of a "developement hell". The donations are running low, if they had more donations then ReactOS would have been worked 5x/10x/15x/20x faster.
DragutinMaric

Post by DragutinMaric » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Se7enator wrote:I have this idea of creating a Windows-like and operating system.

I want it to be compatible with Windows 10 applications as well as older applications, as well as to bring back the old traditional Microsoft Windows experience. The design and UI is inspired by Windows Longhorn and WIndows 7, with an Aero-like theme but with a more modern adaptation. It will fix most of the security problems present in Windows as well as not spy on its users. The main purpose for this OS is for both simplicity and elegance, to be user-friendly, and ready to be used out-of-the-box.

It would be based on ReactOS, as it is an open-source re-implementation of Windows NT which aims for native compatibility with Windows applications. I know that as of now that it is still in alpha and mostly imitates Windows Server 2003 (NT 5.2), and it's still buggy and unstable and doesn't completely support all Windows applications. So, I want to wait until ReactOS is at least in beta, and then to fork the project and to improve the codebase to match NT 6.x specifications and compatibility (Windows Vista thru 8.1). It will also import technology that has been open-sourced from Microsoft such as the .NET Framework, and anything that is missing will be developed from scratch. I want the OS to be complete and be its own thing.

I have been experimenting with ReactOS and trying to learn how to code in C so I can start working on this. But I also invite people to help.

The name of the final OS is subject to change, but I have the name Ether OS in mind, because Ether is like the air, which describes how the interface is simple and easy to use. And also the logo is inspired by the older Windows XP-7 "flag" logo, with three waves layed vertically with a horizontal gradient that goes from purple to cyan.
If you really mean this and are not trolling for reactions (I don't doubt you, but I have to make sure...), then this would be the ULTIMATE operating system. Just make sure to add UWP support if possible so that I can run UWP games and apps from a source of my choice.

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When in doubt, make an unofficial version of Windows XP!
When not in doubt, just mod some old Android benchmarks!
When between these states, archive and preserve software!
Se7enator

Post by Se7enator » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 pm

PF94 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm
I can understand, They're in some sort of a "developement hell". The donations are running low, if they had more donations then ReactOS would have been worked 5x/10x/15x/20x faster.
Sorry if I haven't reply since I am busy with life. Yeah, right now I don't have the skills or the time right now to develop an operating system or distro at the moment. So once I know how to develop an OS and once ReactOS reaches beta (I know this might take almost forever and I want to make sure that the base code is more complete so I don't have to worry too much about bugs or missing features. I would help them if I had the skills or the money.) I would try to work on this to make it into reality.

I even made a logo:

It is an homage to the Aero-era and Modern Windows logo with a wave-like shape and a color gradient from purple to sky blue to represent flow or "ease of use". It has three of those waves to make the shape like an "E" for ether. The text is typed in the Selawik font, the open-source version of the Segoe font by Microsoft.

I'm naming this Ether OS, although it might be confused with Ethereum and ethOS. So the name and logo might still be subject to change. In any case, I'm codenaming this project "Caelus".

If I can, I'll try to make mock-ups of the GUI. The desktop environment design would be a combination of the Aero and Modern themes, with glass-like windows and some skeuomorphism mixed with flat-ish icons.
DragutinMaric wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 pm
If you really mean this and are not trolling for reactions (I don't doubt you, but I have to make sure...), then this would be the ULTIMATE operating system. Just make sure to add UWP support if possible so that I can run UWP games and apps from a source of my choice.
No, this is not a troll and why would anyone troll here for reactions? Again it's just that at the moment I don't got the programming skills yet to work on an operating system so I'm still learning. It would be nice to implement something like UWP for Windows 10 compatibility. The only issue is that the API is closed-sourced and so, like what ReactOS is doing with Windows XP/Windows Server 2003, we have to find a way to somewhat reverse engineer it and then re-implement that into the OS.
Se7enator

Post by Se7enator » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 pm

I also have plans for pre-installed applications that a user would want to have out-of-the-box without having to fill it up with bloatware. These applications include:

* Chromium web browser
* LibreOffice office suite
* VLC media player
* GIMP raster graphics editor
Se7enator

Post by Se7enator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 am

Okay, I've done a mock-up now.This is NOT a screenshot, I made this in Inkscape and I've exported this as a PNG file to show you guys a concept of the "look and feel" of the desktop with the start menu open.

Also, I don't know if I should include Solitaire or other classic Windows games in this.

I made this with freely licensed images and open-sourced icons although some logos might be trademarked.

Tell me what you think?

Se7enator

Post by Se7enator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:04 am

So basically, like Windows development, the development of Ether OS or "Caelus" during the alpha stage will be broken up into milestones depending on which milestone is to be met:
* Milestone 1: Fixing any bugs and compatibility with NT 5.x as well as adding any missing features from ReactOS as well as adding or improving basic features, and getting it to work on AMD64-based PC from at least 2007-2009.
* Milestone 2: Creation of a windowing compositor which will add Aero-like effects such as transparency.
* Milestone 3: NT 6.x compatibility.
* Milestone 4: NT 10 and UWP compatibility.

Afterwards, the beta phase will be focused on setting the aesthetics as well as some additional features and the fix on some bugs from the alpha. The release candidate would be the feature freeze where minor bug fixes would take place until the OS is finally complete for release.

The release builds of the OS will mainly follow an X.Y.Z versioning scheme, with the first number signifying a major release when a new major release of ReactOS arrives, the second number signifying a minor release with addition of features to the current version, and the third number signifying updates such as security patches and bug fixes.

Development builds instead follow an X.Y scheme, with text signifying its development stage (alpha, beta or RC) and a number representing updates. Each major release will also receive a code name.

Both types of builds also have their own build numbers.

Each release occurs typically every eight months, with every fourth release (every 2 years) having long-term support for 6 years instead of 18 months for a standard-term.

There's going to be a desktop version for both home and business use, as well as a server version. Compiled releases are going to be for x86 (32-bit), AMD64 (64-bit), ARMv7 and ARM64 architectures.

The minimum system requirements for the OS should be the same as for current Windows 10.

Basically, "Caelus" is to ReactOS what Ubuntu is to Debian, and like ReactOS is also licensed under GNU GPL which will allow for new distro to come out of this.
Last edited by Se7enator on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Se7enator

Post by Se7enator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

I also made a mock up of the login screen.

I'm also going to make the accounts similar to on Linux where the owner is separated from the administrator account, and every administrative action requires a password. I think ReactOS is doing the same thing.